Our Privacy Statement
What does this privacy statement apply to?
This privacy statement applies to your personal information collected or processed through the websites, mobile applications and other services and products that collect or process data and display this statement belonging to Royal Canin Canada Company (“Royal Canin”) and its family of companies, which includes parent companies and corporate affiliates. This statement does not apply to such entities’ websites, mobile applications and other services and products that do not display or include a link to this privacy statement or that have their own privacy statement. This privacy statement applies to your personal information, which is any information or combination of information that could reasonably be used to identify you.
Our privacy practices are consistent with Canada’s data protection laws. We cooperate with Canada’s data protection authorities if they believe a privacy problem has occurred.
What information do we collect and process?
We may collect or process various information that you provide to us, including personal contact details, and information related to your purchases, employment or demographic.
- Personal contact details includes information such as names, addresses, telephone numbers, or e-mail addresses such as when you provide them to us during online registration or when doing business with us or providing services to us; some websites allow you to establish a user name and password to set up an account.
- Purchase-related information includes data regarding purchases you make on our websites, including payment card information and shipping details, as well as any feedback you provide related to your purchase or experience with Royal Canin products or services.
- Employment-related information includes your indicated job preferences, work history and information provided on applications submitted to us online.
- Demographic information includes data such as age, gender, hobby or activity information, taste or other preference information, and the like.
We may collect information from other sources, including contact lists, and demographic information from third parties and other sources. This data may be combined with other information that we collect.
We also collect certain types of information automatically:
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address or device identifier, your device’s operating system, browser type, websites visited before or after you visit our website, pages viewed and activities at our website, as well as your interaction with advertisements.
- Third-party service and advertising partners may also collect information automatically.
How do we use your information?
We may use your information for a variety of purposes including: to provide products or services that you request; to administer promotions (sweepstakes, contests and offers); to communicate with you; to deliver advertising; to improve our websites, products and services; and for other legitimate business purposes.
- Providing the features, products and services you request: We may use the information we collect about you to fulfill your requests for, and enable your use of, our features, products and services.
- Registration, contests and promotions: We may use your information to enter you in contests, to notify you of results and to register you for certain features, products and services.
- To communicate with you and provide you with information: We may use your information to communicate with you, to respond to your questions or comments, to provide you with updates and news and to alert you when job vacancies that fit your profile arise (in the event that you submit your resume). We also may use your information to provide you with personalized content, information, and to send you brochures, coupons, samples, offers and other information on our products or our family of companies. We ask visitors providing e-mail addresses to indicate if they would like further information or updates from us or our website and only those who request it will receive follow-up communications from us. We may also ask if you would like to receive information about other products available from members of our family of companies.
We also offer visitors an “opt-out” option at any time they wish to cease receiving e-mails or other information from us.
- To deliver to you relevant advertising: We may purchase and use opt-in e-mail lists to contact potential customers who we believe may be interested in products or services from the Royal Canin family of companies. We will honor opt-out requests and ask those providing lists to give us assurances that e-mail contact information is provided only for those consumers who have expressed a desire to receive offers and information by e-mail. We also may use demographic and preference information to allow advertising related to Royal Canin products and services to be targeted to the users for whom they are most pertinent. This is designed so that users will see advertising that is most likely to interest them, and advertisers can display their ads to people who are most likely to be receptive. For further information about our advertising practices, please see What is our policy on online interest-based advertising below.
- To provide you with other offers. For example, sometimes we will offers, coupons and information, including catalogues, available to you through the mail. For example, when customers place an online order in our catalogue stores or sign up for one of our catalogues online we may add them to the list to receive that catalogue. We may also use lists we have received from third parties or public sources to send you this information, and, as is routinely done in the catalogue business, may exchange names and addresses (but not e-mail addresses absent consent) of our catalogue customers with other catalogue companies who may also contact you by mail. You may “opt-out” of receiving offline communications from our brands at any time.
- To improve our websites, features, products and services. We may use the information that we collect to improve the Royal Canin family of product offerings, services, as well as our websites and features.
- For other purposes. We also may use your information for other legitimate purposes, which we strive to identify at the time of collection.
How do we share and disclose your information?
We may share or disclose your information:
- With Royal Canin and the Royal Canin family of companies;
- With vendors or agents. For example, we may share your information with companies we have hired to provide services on our behalf. When we share information with these other companies to provide services for us, they are not allowed to use it for any other purpose and must keep it confidential unless you otherwise consent.
- Where your information may be transferred along with other business assets.
We also may share or disclose personal information, including the content of your communications:
- To comply with the law or respond to legal process or lawful requests, including from law enforcement and government agencies.
- To conduct investigations of consumer complaints or possible breaches of law, to protect the integrity of the website, to fulfill your requests, or to cooperate in any legal investigation.
- To protect the rights or property of the Royal Canin family of companies or our customers, including enforcing the terms governing your use of the services.
- To act on a good faith belief that access or disclosure is necessary to protect the safety of our associates, customers or the public.
What about children’s privacy?
Our websites are primarily designed and intended for adults and, where brand-appropriate, teenagers. We do not knowingly collect or store any personal information about children under age 13, and our company websites are not designed to collect personal information from children under age 13. We may ask visitors to enter a birth date to restrict those who are underage from accessing certain websites, areas or features. If we learn we are dealing with a child under age 13, we may ask for the e-mail address of a parent and make an effort to contact them to determine if the child has permission to provide information to us.
We or our service providers or business partners use technologies like cookies and web beacons to offer certain functions at our website, to understand our visitors, and to offer ads at non-affiliated third-party websites, sometimes using information collected through technology at one of our family of websites and sometimes through third-party networks. Service providers or publishers may display ads for our products at unaffiliated third-party websites based on your online activities. We support self-regulatory programs for this practice, called interest-based advertising or online behavioural advertising, and ask our business partners to do the same. Find out more below at What are our policies regarding online interest-based advertising? Please note that third parties where you might see our ads have their own privacy statements and use technologies which we do not control. We encourage you to read those policies carefully.
What are cookies and how do we use them?
Visitors to our websites use different web browsers and different computers. To make your visits as easy as possible with the technology you use, we automatically keep track of information like the type of browser (e.g., Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) and operating system (e.g., Windows, Mac-OS X) used by a visitor, IP address, domain name of the visitor’s Internet service provider, websites visited before and after, pages viewed and activities at our websites, and advertisements seen or clicked on. We also track the total number of visitors to our websites in an aggregate form to allow us to update and improve them. Personal contact information is not extracted in this process. This information tells us if more visitors prefer certain features or areas to others, which helps us keep our websites fresh and interesting to the majority of our visitors.
Please note that we may allow third parties to advertise on our websites. Some of these third parties may place cookies on your computer for purposes of advertising. We do not control the cookies of third parties. You can opt-out of certain network advertising programs that track your activities across multiple websites to deliver personalized advertising content to you. Please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada Opt-Out Page, NAI Opt-Out Page and the Ad Choices Opt-Out Page
What are web beacons and how do we use them?
Some of our Web pages and e-mail updates may contain electronic images called “web beacons” (sometimes known as one pixel GIFs, clear GIFs or pixel tags). Web beacons allow us to count visitors who have viewed our webpages. In promotional e-mail messages and newsletters, web beacons allow us to count how many subscribers have read them. Web beacons allow us to develop statistical information about the activities and features that most interest our consumers for the purpose of providing more personalized content. Web beacons are not used to access personal information without your consent.
What if you don’t want cookies?
If you don’t want cookies, you can set your computer to warn you each time a cookie is being sent or turn off all cookies (except Flash cookies) through your browser (e.g., Internet Explorer or Safari). Check your browser “help” menu to learn the correct way to change or update your cookies. To find out more about how to manage or delete Flash cookies, visit Adobe. Please note that if you do not accept cookies, some features or activities may not be available to you.
How do we serve advertisements through online interest-based advertising?
At times we display ads both on our network of owned and operated websites and on the websites of third parties. When you visit one of our websites or view ads that we serve elsewhere online, you may see different kinds of ads, such as text ads next to search results or video ads on web pages. Sometimes, these ads are based on the content of the pages on which they appear. Other times, these ads are generated by matching the particular ad to your interests as inferred from your online activities that have been collected over time. With interest-based advertising, the goal is to show you ads that are most relevant to you.
To do this, we and some of our third-party advertising companies use technologies such as cookies and web beacons to collect information about your interaction with our websites and other third-party websites (“Online Data”). This Online Data generally does not identify you to us personally and, typically, it is aggregated with other data to create segments – groups of users and certain general interest categories that we have inferred based on a variety of factors (for example, “sports fan”). The Online Data can include:
- The Web pages, products and services you view and links you click when using our websites and services as well as third-party websites;
- Our e-mails that you view and links you click on within that e-mail;
- Whether you view or click on ads that are shown to you;
- Demographic or interest data, including general geographic location derived from IP address;
- Offline purchase data that may be combined with Online Data to create a better profile regarding your interests or purchasing preferences; and
- The search terms you enter when using certain search services.
We and our third-party advertising partners use this Online Data to paint a more accurate picture of the interests of the audiences with which we interact – including you – so that we can serve ads that are more relevant to those interests.
In addition, our third-party advertising partners use this Online Data for a variety of other purposes, including (a) in conjunction with advertising that appears on our website or other websites, (b) for reporting website traffic, statistics, advertisement data and other interaction with ads and the websites on which they are served, and (c) to measure the effectiveness of web-based and e-mail advertisements.
Why would you want to receive interest-based ads?
Consumers like to receive interest-based ads for many different reasons. Interest-based ads are helpful because they are more tailored to your particular interests. For example, cat owners may see more ads for cat food and fewer ads for dog grooming services. Interest-based ads also are more likely to help them discover new products and services that are actually relevant to them and their interests. For example, dog owners may see an ad about the latest dog-grooming products, whereas cat owners might be more likely to see an ad for the latest feline hairball solution. In short, receiving interest-based ads can help to improve their access to new products, services and features that are most relevant to them, which in turn could help to improve their life and social experiences. Consumers also will not see the same ads over and over from us because the number of times they see a particular interest-based ad is limited. By opting-out of interest-based ads, they lose all of these benefits.
How can consumers opt-out of receiving interest-based ads from us?
If consumers do not want this website to show them interest-based ads they can opt-out by following the instructions here. Please note, however, that opting-out does not mean they will no longer see ads from us online. It simply means that the online ads from us they do see will not be based on their particular interests.
What else do you need to know?
Where is your information stored and processed?
Personal information collected on our websites and services, or received by Royal Canin from you or third parties, may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country where we or our service providers maintain facilities.
The servers and databases in which information may be stored may be located outside the country from which you accessed this website and in a country that does not have the same privacy laws as your country of residence. The personal information you provide us may be transmitted abroad, but we will collect, process and use personal information only in accordance with this privacy statement.
Employment-related queries may also be transferred to any member of the Royal Canin family of companies. By visiting this website and submitting information, you consent to such collection, processing, transfer and/or storage of your personal information.
What about chat rooms, message boards, or other interactive forums?
We may offer chat rooms, message or bulletin boards, or interactive areas where visitors may post comments or information for our visitors’ enjoyment. If there is a chat room, bulletin or message board, social networking opportunities or other interactive areas where personal information may be posted at this website, be sure to check posted rules before entering, as you will be bound by them as well as our General Terms and Conditions. Rules for participation in interactive features may establish age and other restrictions on participation. Anything you post online is public information, and we are not responsible for anything you voluntarily post online. Users should exercise caution when disclosing personal information online.
How do we safeguard your information?
We have implemented administrative, physical and technical safeguards designed to protect your information. If online shopping is permitted at the website, we use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) to communicate with your browser software when you order from us online and thereby provide us with payment card or related information. SSL is the industry standard security protocol, which makes it very difficult for anyone else to intercept your credit card / transaction and order information that you send us when you submit your online order. Otherwise, the transmission of information to and from us is not encrypted or secure. We limit access to personal information to those who have a business need. We keep personal information only for a reasonably needed amount of time.
No security measures can be 100% secure, however, and so we recommend that you take additional measures to protect yourself and your information, including by installing up to date anti-virus software, closing browsers after use, keeping confidential your log-in credentials and passwords, and making sure that you regularly update software and apps you have downloaded to ensure you have enabled the latest security features on your devices.
Changes to this Privacy Statement
We may update this privacy statement from time to time, so please visit this page periodically and review this statement for changes. We will notify you of material changes to this privacy statement by posting a notice on our home page for a reasonable period of time and changing the “Last Updated” date [(below)]. Your continued use of our websites following the posting of changes will mean that you accept the changed terms.
What should you do if you have questions, wish to access, update or delete information, or wish to opt-out of receiving future communications?
We take steps to keep your personal information accurate. You can view, correct or update the personal contact information you provide to Royal Canin. Some Royal Canin programs provide access to view or update personal information online. Check where you registered to learn if you can view or update your information there.
If you would like us to access, update, change, or delete information we have about you in our marketing database (subject to any applicable legal exceptions), would like to opt-out of receiving further communications from us, or have questions about our privacy statement, please click here.
How can you contact us?
To contact us: email@example.com
Our Mailing Address is:
Consumer Affairs – Privacy Officer
100 Beiber Road
Puslinch, ON N0B 2J0
Office Hours (Eastern time): Mon. - Fri. | 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
We are committed to working with you to resolve any complaints you may have regarding this Privacy Statement or the treatment of your personal information. If you have a concern, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and your communication will be promptly addressed.
Last Updated: November 6, 2015